Saturday, December 27, 2008

Hammonasset Beach State Park, CT.


It was Christmas day and I was surprised by the number of people who were at the beach! We drove along the road inside the state park and headed towards East Beach and Meig's Point, which is the rocky side of the beach, but when we saw the number of cars in the lots we decided to head over to West Beach, which was slightly less crowded. As soon as we stepped onto the boardwalk we were hit with a strong, relentless wind that blew the sand right up into the air. People pulled up their hoods and stayed on the beach pushing against the wind, and some even walked along the edge of the water. Others chose to avoid the worst of the wind and could be seen meandering the trails that run through the grassy marshes and sandy dunes that sweep out on either side of the road. The sky was deep blue and the day was clear enough for us to see Long Island laying across the southern horizon. I've never gone to the beach on Christmas day, but I found it an uplifting experience, and perhaps it will become a new tradition!

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, and welcome to my blog! In my working life I'm a cook, and in my personal life I'm married and have two daughters, plus a Chihuahua named Minnie. I am also a culinary school graduate with a degree in pastry arts. When I have a day off the first thing I think about is getting my camera and hitting the road. I've always loved road trips and I've been carrying a camera since I got a 110 Instamatic for my birthday when I was a kid. So, we get in the car and travel all over seeking out new back roads and new places to visit. At least twice a year we head up to the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont and take in some of the best scenery New England has to offer, and we get to New Hampshire, too. We also do some shorter trips to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and sometimes even New York state (although it's not in New England) and once in a blue moon, we get to Maine. When I'm not on the road I'm right here at home reading, writing, watching some classic television like Andy Griffith, or Minnie and I are out strolling in the cemeteries enjoying the art and remembering the people.