Monday, October 6, 2008

Destination: Route 17, South Glastonbury, Connecticut




One great back road stop is a place called the Old Cider Mill in South Glastonbury, Connecticut. We recently visited there to enjoy some autumn atmosphere, feed the goats and look over the pumpkins. I especially love the view of the orchards and farmland that can be seen rolling out beyond the barn and animal pens where the visitors park and walk the grounds. The Cider Mill is on Route 17 in South Glastonbury, a road that is lined with farms, orchards, and plenty of farm stands. It's apple time so we stopped by one of our favorite stands, Draghi Farms, which is closer to the Portland end of Route 17, and bought plenty for apple pie! It just isn't fall in New England if you don't get some apple pie!

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, and welcome to my blog! In my working life I'm a cook, and in my personal life I'm married and have two daughters, plus a Chihuahua named Minnie. I am also a culinary school graduate with a degree in pastry arts. When I have a day off the first thing I think about is getting my camera and hitting the road. I've always loved road trips and I've been carrying a camera since I got a 110 Instamatic for my birthday when I was a kid. So, we get in the car and travel all over seeking out new back roads and new places to visit. At least twice a year we head up to the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont and take in some of the best scenery New England has to offer, and we get to New Hampshire, too. We also do some shorter trips to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and sometimes even New York state (although it's not in New England) and once in a blue moon, we get to Maine. When I'm not on the road I'm right here at home reading, writing, watching some classic television like Andy Griffith, or Minnie and I are out strolling in the cemeteries enjoying the art and remembering the people.